Tuesday 1 December 2015

Paypal Here V1 Bluetooth issue, connecting with smartphone + horrible aftercare and customer service

I HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE THIS PUBLIC INFO ON THE INTERNET AND SOCIAL NETWORKS.


SUMMARY:
1.    If you are looking to buy the PayPal Here v1 for taking payments, whether new machine or second hand, think twice, just remember, once out of warranty, if the reader develops any technical issues, PayPal will only guide you with troubleshoot solution same as the manual.

2.    For your information. PayPal Here V2 according to Paypal operator Steven, whom I spoke with, stated the same company MURA also manufactures the V2 PayPal Here device.

3.    NO TECHNICAL TEAM or AFTERSALES CARE.

4.    Alternative providers you could consider:  iZettle, SumUP, traditional IGENICO credit card machine, intuit, verifone, worldpay.

ISSUE:
Bought a paypal here V1 card reader in August 2013, tried it out when i first got it, it was working and pairing with my smartphone. 

Between august 2013 to Nov 2015, i have not used the reader at all, so its practically brand new. 

Over the weekend of 25th nov 2015, i tried to pair it with my phone to use at an exhibition. The bluetooth was not flashing and only flashing red and green on the triangle. 

1. Followed manual instructions to reset device 
2. Tried a hard reset with a pin in the side hole. Still the same. 

I called up Paypal to express my issues with the reader. The only thing the lady could say to me as well as the so called manager person i spoke too was that, your out of warranty, technology gets old, you will need to purchase a new paypal here machine. 
They apparently don't have repair departments. Couldn't offer me even a discount for a new machine even though in october 2015 they had promo for paypal here v2 at a promotional rate.

I understand i am out of warranty. But i have not used the machine since 2013. So its now 27 months later, machine practically brand new then and it doesn't work. I was not asking for a new machine or a discount on another, but trying to repair the one I got because I have never used it since buying it. I lost out on card payments over the weekend exhibition because the reader Bluetooth did not work.

To my understanding, paypal was telling me, paypal here card machines only last 1 year, and if a problem develops after that, i would need to buy a new one???? 

For Reference, i spoke to Emma who could not help me, and then passed me to Lauren their manager. To be honest with you as the customer you will never know who you are talking too, because they tell you who they are on the other side.

01 November 2015, I decided to give it another try to speak to a different operator at paypal, hoping someone else would be a lot more helpful because sometimes it does depend on who you spoke too. 

A Mr Steven was very friendly on the phone, i explained my situation to him again...But was told exactly the same things. He troubleshooted and guided me to do the hard reset and then came back with, your out of warranty, we cant do nothing to help you. You would need to buy a new paypal here reader. 

I then requested the following because i am extremely upset with the Paypal Here policy, customer service and aftersales service for this particular device. 

1. I asked for the operators full name. He declined to disclose his surname because hes not allowed he said. Fine fair enough.
2. I asked to speak to his manager - Was told they are both busy and not available and will give me a call back within 24 hours. This is always the case when there is an issue, the "managers are always busy or away". 
3. I asked for the name of his manager - He told me her name was Cathrine and the other manager was Lauren.
4. I asked what department he is from - was told he was from Product and site support team .
5. I asked what can be done - i was told to speak to the manufacturer.
6. I asked for the manufacturer contact details - he said there department and even his managers do not have any absolute direct contact with the manufacturer. It is there warehouse team who deal with the manufacturer and that the only time paypal speak to the manufacturer is when there is an order for a card reader.
7. I asked for the name of the manufacturer. He told me its called MURA. I googled this and no website shows for MURA. but a similar company called Muirasystems seem to have a product which looks exactly like the paypal here v2.
8. I asked for the manufacturer telephone or email. - He said they dont have this information.
9. I asked where can i get this information from - He replied i have to search my self. 
10. I asked who higher management was after Catherine and Lauren - He replied, I would absolutely have to talk to catherine or lauren first and then they are the only ones who can escalate this case to higher management.

Final question 11. I asked is this conversation telephone recorded. He replied yes. I said Good. 

CONCLUSION
I always had confidence using Paypal and its regular payment services and never had a problem or issues, so my customer loyalty was built there.

When i heard paypal was offering mobile payment solutions with a card reader i was excited that finally such a innovative company has got something people can trust and use and that when the time comes for me to use it for my business, i would have nothing to worry about. 

But sadly, when it comes to this card reader and the customer service for it, it is absolutely RUBBISH.  They are very quick to wash away their responsibility when issues arise.

I just can't believe

1.Such a big reputable company did not care about its customers and its products.
2.They don't even want to know whats wrong with the device incase it would affect others users who have similar issues or to improve it. 
3. No technical department to deal with these issues.
4. No after warranty solution, but telling customers to buy a new card reader. So card reader only lasts 1 year because warranty is 1 year. 
5. Can not direct me to manufacturer or give manufacturer contact details. 
6. No attempt to retain business customer.

THE REASON FOR MY LONG POST IS TO LET OTHER USERS OR POTENTIAL BUYERS KNOW MY EXPERIENCE WITH PAYPAL AND TO WARN YOU THE OUTCOME WILL BE - NO SOLUTION. 


10 comments:

  1. Virtually the exact same thing happened to me. Purchased a few years ago, never used. Go to fire it up and get the red/green flashing no matter how many times I reset it. Paypal support was rude, useless and insulting. Certainly will share with other merchants how pathetic Paypal is to its customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what I have not used mine for quite a while now a couple of years. I have only used it a few times when I did use it. I went to use it yesterday charged it up over night and had this green red light flashing. I tried everything to get it working and I'm reasonably etc literate. Googled my problem and here I am what a bummer, this product is. Reading this and other places I have looked I might as well throw it in the bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is useless and your not the only one. Welcome aboard. With several hundred complains as opposed to the billions of users for paypal. Its not comparable enough they would bother to do anything. Your best bet is to go with another company.

      I highly suggest Izettle, SumpUp or even shopify if you already have a website with them.

      A good read on mobile payment solutions is the following website. They are highly informative and up to date and show you what deals there are.
      https://www.mobiletransaction.org

      Delete
  3. So are these things designed to fail after a year?! Similar story, bought it 2 years ago and have never used it till now and it's the red and green flashing lights. Are they programmed to give up after a certain date!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been trying to get paypal to assist with similar issues above. Will ditch them

    ReplyDelete
  5. paypal just lie, and act stupid, government should start fining them for breaches in consumer credit acts, and consumer rights act

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is useful blog information which was full of ideal terms to know for individual. Having trouble with PayPal is common problem. Good thing that you have posted a lot of good insights here.

    Netflix Australia customer service | Netflix Australia contact

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi JDMinG_FTO, Rory, I also had the same problem and I also bothered to use this year! They said same! If you are in AU then it is covered by ACL. Give them a call and say you will lodge a complain they will refund money to buy new device. Hope my suggestion works as it worked for me! God Bless! - SBS

    ReplyDelete